Serving the Region since 1947
The Kingsport Theatre Guild is one of the oldest community theatres in the state, in continuous operation since 1947.
J. Fred Johnson, one of Kingsport’s founders, may have been the city’s first prominent Thespian. He appeared in a 1920 theatrical production titled “Everybody’s Husband” for the benefit of the future public library. It wasn’t until 1947, however, that an official community theater was formed and Kingsport Theatre Guild presented its first formal offering, “Yes and No.”
Through the years, the Kingsport Theatre Guild has performed in a variety of venues, including a barn on a Eden’s Ridge, School auditorium, Church Fellowship halls, a community center on Sullivan Street, a Fine Arts Center on Church Circle, and, currently, at the Renaissance Center.
In 1992, KTG expanded its Board of Directors to include more community representatives, and in 1993 hired its first staff person. Since that time much has been accomplished. Growing audiences and increasing financial support from local businesses and individuals have enabled the Kingsport Theatre Guild to offer a year-round schedule of musicals, dramas, comedies and thrillers, as well as children’s theatre produced specifically for school groups.
For an arts organization to exist for more than 50 years requires the vision, commitment and determination of many people. The Kingsport Theatre Guild appreciates the business and individuals who support community theater through sponsorship, membership, volunteerism, or by the attendance of KTG productions.
Meet Our Staff:
Board of Directors: